Season 3 of The Earth Keepers Podcast continues with a discussion about goddess worship in the ancient temples featuring clips from mystic and ethnobotanist Terrence McKenna and author of The Immortality Key, Brian Muraresku.
In this season, I'm taking us on a journey to explore what happens when an entire society of people lose their connection to the only land they’ve ever known.
And I'll be exploring this question by following just one branch of my family tree back through the Mormon Pioneer days in Utah and Idaho and then back to my ancestors who left Sweden for America.
In this episode, we're exploring religious precursors to Christianity in Greek and Roman culture where goddess worship in the ancient temples was common.
I share all about the Eleusinian Mysteries, the myth of Demeter and Persephone, the theories about the entheogenic contents of the kykekion drink and how it all relates to the Mormon religion.
If you've done any genealogy research into your own family origins, want to know more about how organized religion influenced your ancestor's beliefs, are curious about how plant medicine and shamanic ritual was integrated into early religion, and want some ideas about how you can reconnect with the land in a place and time your ancestors wouldn't recognize, you're going to love this season of The Earth Keepers podcast.
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Pandora | Spotify | Amazon Music | Google Podcasts | Android Devices | Stitcher | RSS | Audible
Here's what I share in this episode:
- What is the civilization known as Old Europe
- Who the Greek Goddess Hestia is in Greek mythology
- How women's work was considered sacred in Old Europe
- The festivals of the Eleusinian Mysteries and how they were created
- The myth of Demeter and Persephone
- Terrence McKenna's theory about the entheogenic kykekion drink
- The different potential plant medicines that may have been used in the kykekion
- The similarities between the Eleusinian Mysteries and the Mormon Temple rituals
- What Joseph Smith said the secret of Masonry is
- The ideas behind The Immortality Key
- How religious leaders could lead a large group of people through a collective religious experience
- What brought the Eleusinian Mysteries to an end
- Why the Christian church wanted to stop the worship of gods and goddesses
- Who kept the traditions alive in secret
Links & Resources:
Learn more and join the Earth Tenders Academy
Terrence McKenna on The Eleusinian Mysteries
The Best-Kept Secret in History – Brian Muraresku
Listen to all episodes from this season
Join the FREE Following Hawks Earth Keepers Community on Facebook